To respond effectively to COVID-19, we need to use plain English in all our communications with the public. This will help sustain the levels of co-operation and collective behaviours we need at this time.
Techniques that work when communicating:
- knowing your audience and their information needs
- presenting this information in a way your audience can relate to
- being honest about the information you are presenting
- being empathetic
- using plain English techniques and resources to write COVID-19 information
- being aware of health literacy techniques when communicating about COVID-19 matters
- getting external plain English expertise to help you craft your documents in a relatable and ethical way.
NALA’s plain English editing team specialise in creating clear and accessible. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org your document or web link for a quote. Remember to mention who your reader is.